Sunday, November 28, 2010

The Book of Chris and Aubrey. Part One. :)

The first blog post! I feel obligated to say something clever or profound, but nothing's coming. So!
I've abandoned my old blog - it's just a reminder and how much time lapsed between each post, and how I'm really not a very good writer. Plus I've got a new last name, a new job, a new home, etc. So I'd like a new blog too. :)
I feel a little silly spouting off my name and situation like I'm writing a seventh grade English assignment "All About Me". Especially since this blog was written for the courtesy of my Momma, who wants to know what's going on in my life and thinks I ought to write down some of the crazy situations I'm coming across as a kindergarten aide, a voice teacher, and a newlywed! But for those who don't know me (haha, I feel like I'm giving a talk at a new ward), I'm Aubrey Denton, formerly Aubrey Noble. This July I married Chris Denton, and life's been a great adventure every since! Not to sound too cheesy. :) But he is the most incredible, most wonderful person I know - a great example to me, and someone I am thrilled to be married to and honored to spend eternity with.

I work as an "Intervention Instructional Assistant" (a glorified name for teacher's aide at Title One schools) at Longfellow Elementary. This means that I spend school hours working with about 120 kindergartners, most of whom came to school in August knowing few words in English other than "bathroom" "no", and "Hannah Montana" (don't get me started on that last one). We work with at-risk kids to get them up to speed on reading, writing, counting, knowing their shapes and colors, etc. It's been such an eye-opening experience for me, and while there have been catastrophes I didn't know existed outside of extreme comedy movies, it's also been a gratifying job.  I love these adorable little children! :)
Chris and I also both work as voice teachers at a music store called "Musician's Choice" on McKellips and Lindsay by Tia Rosa's. I have over 20 students and I LOVE IT!!!! Music is one of my greatest passions; I love to sing, yes, but I love to teach music even more than performing myself. It is such a high to be teaching voice lessons (although it too, has has its ups and downs). If anyone reading is interested, we offer a free trial lesson if you want to come and try it out!
Chris also works in the music department at MCC, and as an assistant choir director at Campo Verde High School. We live a street west of the Mesa Temple in a 'lil studio apartment, which has been an adventure in and of itself, but I'll save that for another day.
We are members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Days Saints! We believe in Christ as our Savior and Redeemer, as the source of joy and light in our lives, and as the path back to our Heavenly Father. We believe that Joseph Smith restored the fullness of Christ's gospel, that today Thomas S. Monson receives revelation from God to guide His church on earth, and that through the restored power of God's priesthood families can be sealed to last through eternity. If you're interested in learning more we're working on our Mormon.org profiles <3  and you can take a look at lds.org for more information.
So that's us in a nutshell. Maybe next time I'll have some interesting stories to post! For now, we are off to dinner with Chris's parents, then  off to decorate the Christmas tree at my parent's house!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Hannah!
    I don't choose the rate, since I'm an employee. But it's $20.00 a lesson (five dollars cheaper than Milanos) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome. Very good to know! Can I request you as a teacher or do they just assign people to whomever they want?

    ReplyDelete